Investigative News Intern, Voice of San Diego
Sept. 6, 2012 to December 2012
- Researching publicly funded K-12 lease-leaseback construction projects dating back to 2002.
- Reporting on school bond proposals on Nov. 6 ballot, controversial capital appreciation bonds.
- Exercising the freedom to request public documents for data analysis with Microsoft Excel.
- Working to combine traditional storytelling skills with authoritative writing and multimedia.
City Desk Intern, The Bulletin (Bend, Ore.)
June to August 2012
- Relocated for a full-time, paid summer internship with the city desk as part of the Chips Quinn Scholars program. Gained familiarity reporting dailies, breaking news and the night cops beat.
- Published news pieces ranging from murder trials, wildfire relief efforts to ADA mandates.
- Produced videos to supplement text; shot with Canon Vixia and edited with Final Cut Pro.
Collegiate Correspondent, USA Today
January to May 2012
- Wrote 18 pieces exploring national issues through the lenses of students and higher education.
- Contributed via WordPress platform; one of 14 reporters chosen from pool of 500+ applicants.
Features Intern, U-T San Diego
September to December 2011
- Published lighthearted features in sections: Home and Garden, Food, Travel, Business.
- Used Adobe InCopy and ATEX content management systems to merge stories, photos online.
- Focused on writing for the web: meta tags, headlines, keywords for search engine optimization.
News Intern, KUSI-News San Diego
June to August 2011
- Assisted in script writing, teleprompting and filing clips for ‘Good Morning San Diego’ show.
- Conducted beat checks; monitored wires, phones at assignment desk during evening newscasts.
Staff Writer, The Daily Aztec (San Diego State)
August 2010 to September 2011
- Covered the university senate and student government for the news section.
Editor-In-Chief, The Advocate (Contra Costa College; Richmond, Calif.)
August 2008 to May 2010
- Directed a class of 35 students in newsgathering and production for the weekly broadsheet.
- Wrote 100+ articles; experimented in news, editorial and opinion writing, features.
- Assisted designers using Adobe InDesign and Photoshop. Shot photos with Canon Rebel XSi.
- Fostered online presence with social media and assisted in launching inaugural blog network.
Reporter, The Working Press. Society of Professional Journalists. September 2012
Blogger, V3 Digital Media Conference. Asian American Journalists Association. August 2012
Fellow, Chips Quinn Scholars. Freedom Forum Diversity Institute. May 2012
Photographer, AAJA Voices. AAJA National. August 2011
Participant, Campus Coverage Project. Investigative Reporters and Editors, Inc. January 2012
Bachelor’s in journalism from San Diego State in December 2012.
AAJA, SPJ, IRE and the Online News Association